Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Transistions are hard!

This school year has been hard.  Like, really hard.  His first year in high school.  The transition was hard for him.  Bigger school, new routines, greater responsibilities.  It started out rocky.  We survived the midway point. We're finishing off rocky.  He's grown so much advocating for himself.  He's grown socially.  Academically he has struggled.  It's hard to watch.  Falling on that downward slope, spiraling out of control.  The tools are there, he refuses to use them.  I often wonder if he will stop living day to day.  If he will ever see the bigger picture.  He's 15 after all.  The realization hits you like a ton of bricks.  I just keep telling myself, keep pushing him.  Keep encouraging and guiding.  No matter what, keep on keepin on. 

This morning on the way to school, our conversation was about senior projects.  They went to see a few yesterday that were set up.  One was on Autism.  A boy within his program is graduating this year.  He has Autism.  

He said-  You know, I want to graduate too.  I wonder what I'll do my senior project on?  

There you have it..  It is in the back of his mind.  I'm sure it was always there.  

He has grown so much.   

Keep on keepin on. 

1 comment: